Puritan Ad

Personal Care - 468X60

Increase Your Growth (Repair) Hormone Naturally

Just a quick note to say what some may already know...  In my studies on Melatonin and Human Growth Hormone, I keep running across the expert opinion that taking Melatonin at bed-time and turning in between 9-10 pm causes a natural doubling in the amount of Growth Hormone one would have secreted otherwise.


Blood levels of Melatonin naturally decline as you age, this decline probably being at least one cause of insomnia as you get older.  I've just came across several studies that seem to bear out the opinion that bedtime Melatonin increases blood levels of Growth Hormone, and that make me much more confident in recommending to all my patients, that they start around 35-45 years of age, taking 1 to 3 mg of Melatonin at bedtime, and trying really heard to get to bed at a decent hour.  HGH, as you may know, is responsible for hundreds of good things in your body, from healing damage to keeping you as youthful as possible.  Wouldn't it be great if you could double your HGH levels simply by taking a completely safe and natural supplement and going to bed before the late show?


I have been doing both these things for about 6 months, and I'll have to admit I can see a subtle but real difference in my ability to be more fit and to heal, both physically and mentally.  You must understand, this confession comes begrudgingly from a formerly self-avowed night-owl!  For decades I prided myself on staying up really late; it was my prime quiet time to study and contemplate.  Now I will have to eat a little crow and admit to the wisdom of old Ben Franklin's saying that my grand-mother quoted to me often, " Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise." 

Yeah, I know, Granny, I know...

4 comments:

  1. Dr. Ken,
    I've been taking 3 mg of melatonin, probably 5 nights a week for over a year now. It helps with my sleep quality and is apparently good protection against dementia down the line.
    One question, a lady friend suffers from bruxism and taking melatonin definitely helped to drastically reduce her symptoms. However, she has been having palpitations. I believe it could be caused by interaction with her contraceptive pill. Could this be the case? She has suspended taking melatonin and the palpitations have ceased but the teeth grinding in her sleep has resumed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Palpitations would be a very rare but technically possible side effect of melatonin with OCP's. I would think she should try melatonin again at half her former dose...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ken, if we can find anything natural to help keep the HGH flowing right through adulthood and into middle age I say let's give it a shot. The # of jobs HGH is responsible for is amazing and all of them are things we wish to keep happening!

    One of the things I tell my weight loss clients is not to eat carbs or sugar too close to bed time. Circulating insulin levels can interfere with the largest release of HGH at about midnight. You also won't get that burst if you are not sleeping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point! Eating a big sugar/starch load right before bed is very likely to suppress HGH production that night. Although we call it Human Growth Hormone, adults should really call it Human REPAIR Hormone, because without it at sufficient levels, all systems break down, either slowly or quickly.

    ReplyDelete